An opportunity for collaboration and knowledge exchange for researchers and practitioners of just transition at the city level.
About this event
Cities are increasingly a focal point for climate action and research. In 2018, Bristol become the first major city worldwide to declare a climate emergency, and since then more than 40 UK cities have followed suit. Bringing together scholars and practitioners working in the areas of city climate governance and just transitions, this workshop will explore how UK cities are attempting to make a just transition to a post-carbon future.
The event will be chaired by Dr Alice Venn (University of Bristol, Law) and Dr Alix Dietzel (University of Bristol, SPAIS), who will also share the findings of their research project on the city of Bristol focusing on fair decision-making in climate policy.
Presenters will include:
- Katherine Sugar, University of Edinburgh – ‘Governing low carbon and just transitions: a case study of Nottingham, UK.’
- Olivia Sweeney, Black and Green – ‘An individual as a tool for system change’.
- Ed Atkins, University of Bristol – ‘Bringing just transitions home’.
- Zoe Banks Gross, Sustrans – ‘Creating Liveable Cities and Towns, Using co-design to create the places of the future with citizens’
- Sophia Hatzisavvidou, University of Bath – ‘Urban climate governance and climate justice in the South West of England’
- Joshua Emden, The Institute for Public Policy Research – ‘What powers can cities use now to facilitate a just transition and what powers might they need?’
Alongside hearing these presentations, there will be a joint discussion and question and answer session with our speakers, as well as a chance to mingle over lunch and refreshments (provided). The schedule will be:
- 12-1 lunch
- 1-2 presentations
- 2-3 discussion and questions from the audience
The event is open to scholars, students, and members of the public. For those unable to attend in person, the event will be offered in a hybrid format. Please request an ‘attend online’ ticket to receive joining instructions, which will be sent before the event.
We expect this to be a popular event, so please register early to avoid disappointment. If you register then are no longer able to attend, please cancel your ticket so your place can be released for someone else.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that photographs will be taken during the event, which we may share online. If you are uncomfortable with this, please notify us on the day and we will endeavour to try and avoid including you in any photographs. Due to the nature of the event we cannot guarantee you won’t be in any images, but we will try and avoid taking photos where you are clearly visible.
Register online: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exploring-just-transition-to-climate-change-in-uk-cities-tickets-361648820357